Rhinose Day is the brainchild of the Rhinose Foundation, a non-profit trust that aims to engaging the rhino war on two fronts: by supporting the reactive campaign being fought against poaching on the ground; and also through a concerted campaign to spread education about the intrinsic value of wildlife in general and rhinos in particular.
‘I believe the Rhinose Foundation can play an invaluable role in helping combat the ruthless greed that threatens to reverse and even obliterate the admirable work that South Africa and KwaZulu-Natal in particular, have played in helping re-establish rhino populations in our diminishing wild places,’ says Player. He believes our children’s children will thank us for taking action.
Why should we care?
Let’s take a sobering look at the numbers. 100 years ago South Africa’s white rhino population had dwindled to just 50 or so. Operation Rhino was launched in 1961 to reintroduce rhino into their former habitats and today there are about 20 000 white rhinos. But the black rhino
population has plummeted from about 100 000 in 1960 to less than 5 000 in Africa today.
South Africa is home to more rhinos than any other country on earth, but they’re increasingly being killed illegally for their horn, fuelled by demand in the Asian traditional medicine trade. Between January 2010 and 1 September 2012 poachers killed 1 120 rhinos in South Africa.
The campaign gives you a chance to contribute to rhino conservation by purchasing a Rhinose (made from recycled plastic) that can be mounted with cable ties on the grille of your car.
What does a Rhinose cost?
It costs just R30 and 75% (i.e. R22.50) of that goes straight to the rhino cause.
Who will benefit?
Rhinose Day is a joint initiative of three non-profit organisations: the Rhino Action Group Effort (RAGE), the Endangered Wildlife Trust (EWT) and the Rhinose Foundation. After 25% of the money you pay for your Rhinose goes to paying for costs, the other 75% will be split equally between these three organisations.
Where can I buy a Rhinose?
Rhinoses will be available at over 200 CNA stores countrywide in October 2012.
Let’s show we care about rhinos by joining the fight to keep them part of our world.
More about rhinos
Meet the ‘prepoceros rhinoceros’
Lifting the ban on trade in rhino horn – problem or solution?
Copyright © Roxanne Reid - No words or photographs on this site may be used without permission from roxannereid.co.za