Do you miss the sounds of the African bushveld when you're away from it? Guest blogger Sarah Fox of Mahlatini Travel lives in a city miles away from Africa and she certainly misses the bushveld sounds. Here are some of her favourites.
1. African thunderstorm - sudden, dramatic, powerful, deafeningly loud, and gone before you know it.
5. The sound of a lion roaring.
6. Spotted hyena - also kown as the laughing hyena because its chatter sounds like a human laughing. (Find out Why hyenas need a spin doctor)
7. Hippopotamus - distinctive grunt that sounds like a blast from a tuba.
Buy my books
2nd ed e-book 2015
I'm an independent travel writer and book editor with a passion for Africa - anything from African travel, people, safari and wildlife to adventure, heritage, road-tripping and slow travel. I'm happiest in the middle of nowhere, meeting the locals, trying something new, or simply watching the grass grow.
* 15 things to do in Paternoster, West Coast