2. Pause near one of the lily ponds on a balmy summer evening to listen to the chorus of frogs and crickets.
3. Do lunch, high tea or G&Ts on the Stanley Terrace as you gaze out over the plume of spray that rises from the famous Victoria Falls. Try one of the signature cocktails, presented with flair.
4. From the terrace you can also take in the sight of the historical bridge over the Zambezi River that now connects Zimbabwe to Zambia. Think about taking a bungy jump from this bridge … er, maybe tomorrow.
5. For casual dinners under the stars, treat yourself to the buffet at the Jungle Junction Summerhouse restaurant. Enjoy the excitement of African culture in entertainment put on by local dancers and drummers in traditional dress and elaborate masks.
7. Enjoy a Full Monty breakfast buffet at Jungle Junction – everything from fruit, cereals and yoghurt, to cold meats, cheeses, and the whole bacon, sausage and egg palaver. Since this is hedonistic heaven, don’t miss the warm chocolate croissants with your orange juice and champagne. If you can stick to your usual cornflakes or all-bran, you’re way more disciplined than I am.
8. Take a dip in the Edwardian pool – very welcome in the summer heat.
9. Visit the in-hotel spa for a massage or facial, or whatever your favourite form of pampering.
10. For off-site activities talk to the ever-helpful Guest Services in the lobby. They will help to arrange anything from a river cruise or bungy jumping from the Victoria Falls bridge to a helicopter flip to see the Falls from a different perspective.
More about Zimbabwe
Copyright © Roxanne Reid - No words or photographs on this site may be used without permission from roxannereid.co.za