Sprawled in a canvas chair at our private lapa, glass of wine in hand, I watched a spotted eagle owl perch on a rocky koppie where it was silhouetted against the darkening sky. We were at Fossil Ridge eco-lodge in the Gamkaberg Nature Reserve near Oudtshoorn and the heat of the day was fading at last.
Things to do at Gamkaberg
- Drive the Zebra 4x4 trail (grade 3) up the Gamkaberg for 16km to Oukraal campsite, or the new 32km Kannaland 4x4 trail (grade 3). The Kannaland route is open only to overnight guests at Gamkaberg.
- Do one or more of the four easy short walking trails, from 20 min to 2.5 hours. Get a Bossie ID guide from reception to enrich your walk by identifying 20 common plants along the trails.
- Hike the Tierkloof trail, with options from a 14.4km day trail to an overnight trail (13.2km on day 1 and 11.6km on day 2).
- If you’re feeling meditative, walk the labyrinth marked out with rocks.
- Go birding and look out for Karoo endemics.
You may also enjoy
10 Karoo game reserves and nature reserves to visit
Like it? Pin this image!