The tranquil farming valley of Tulbagh is just 90 minutes from Cape Town. There are many things to do here so it makes sense to spend a night or two in Tulbagh accommodation to enjoy them. We loved our farmstay near Tulbagh at Eikelaan Farm Cottages.
Farmer’s wife Lynette Fourie busies herself with growing organic veggies and keeping free-range chickens. There’s a price list in each cottage in case you want to buy some produce to take home with you (I can recommend the farm eggs).
Eikelaan is a working farm, with sheep, wheat, olives, vines and honey bees, but there’s plenty for visitors to do on the farm too.
2. Between the cottages and the pool area, there’s a small playground with swings, a slide and jungle gym for the kids.
4. Go walking along farm roads or through the fynbos, vineyards and olive trees to enjoy the mountain views and the birdlife. About 4km away there’s a nice walk to a waterfall, where you can swim in a pool.
5. Bring your bike and go cycling along the farm roads and tracks – the Cape Epic route goes through the farm when it’s in the area.
6. Spend some time stargazing after dark, here where Big City lights are far away and the air is pure.
8. Bring your rod and go fishing for carp in the farm dam, on a catch-and-release basis.
9. Go horse riding on the neighbouring farm. You will need to book this in advance so get the contact details from Lynette.
10. “Watch the sunset, which is almost impossibly crimson in winter,” Lynette recommends.
Like the article? Pin this image!